Sunday, September 27, 2015

Trying out OOMA Japanese Rice Bar by Chef Bruce Ricketts

Hello guys/girls, how's your weekend so far? I hope it's pretty good as most of you probably had their long weekend and I'm sure you're ready for work tomorrow.  But let me share to you my weekend as I'm not one of those lucky people who had normal holidays.

I traveled to Japan today and I visited this awesome place, nah I'm kidding but I wish I had that chance.  Now, kidding aside my friend Anj can't stop talking about this place since she dined there a couple of weeks ago and told me I'm going to like it.  When this friend of mine talks about things like this with a manner of urgency, this better be good I told her.

Since I'm so stressed due to the long work week I had, I agreed to go.  The place is OOMA Japanese Rice Bar by Chef Ricketts.  All I know about him that he is part of the Moment Group to which has opened a lot of great restaurants here in the metro (Thank you for that) and his vision really clicks with all the masses without food being so up the bar in price.

What intrigues me more is when I saw Manila Bulletin writes about this place and when a place reaches the papers it's just two things, it's really good or someone pays for the advertising in my opinion.  So today, I had to go after also reading a lot of good reviews on this new place.



I'm such a fan of themed restaurants especially when it jives to the food they serve.  This place is set-up like no other I've been into.  It looked like a background in an old Japanese marketplace.  This like took me to another dimension. A+ for creativity on the place.

While I think that the place is small than what I'd expect, it's still has a cozy feel.  The long lines coming here is really worth the wait.

The servers are very friendly and willing to answer quickly on your questions.  They are also prompt and set good expectations.  










While waiting for our food, I was reading the menu and found out that the word "OOMA" is a play on the Japanese word translating to the word "umai" meaning good.  

To my Filipino readers, remember "Umay" in our language translates more to "enough" or "tired of eating the same thing" well I just thought about that since I find it wonderful having different meaning of terms in different languages.

Going back, for me their vision is to create good food that is usually craved by the people. This is of course summarizing my take on what I've read about them below.




 Let's continue, I'm the type of person that I need a soda, juice or whatever type of drink every time I eat.  Good thing they offer bottomless brewed Lipton iced tea (85).  Next I'd like to show is the that paint brush like thing below, it's their soy sauce and I think it has mirin on it that you brush away for the maki's you eat.  Cool concept :)






 For appetizers, we got the corn and oyster kaki-age (php 155).  Basically this is tempura style fried oysters and Japanese corn in tempura batter matched with Kimchi Aioli and Seaweed (Nori) Salt.  I like texture and crunchiness of the kaki-age; however, I'd enjoy this more if there's a lot of osyters inside it.  Also, the kimchi aioli is kind of bland to me, I mean I don't feel there was kimchi at all.  What I liked though was the nori salt.  It's not something I'd crave to order but a nice to try. I'm giving it 3/5.


 Here's a closer view of the Corn and Oyster Kaki-age. 



OMMA taco maki shown below was an inspiration that comes from the "temaki" or cone shaped maki. Each serving has two taco maki's and what I've tried was the Uni Ebi Tamago Taco-Maki (php 220).  The presentation is unique like an open face maki as they say and this has sauteed prawns, kani, tamago, uni, wasabi, ginger and alique mayo.  Who can say no to that description right.  The first piece just went inside my mouth and it's gone.  The different ingredients just married it's way to my palette and all that's left to me was a smile, craving for more.  :) This is definitely a good 5/5.


On to the next dish, it's the Salmon Tartare Aburi Maki (php 295).  Aburi means to burn something and this is Japanese blow torching raw fish to showcase the flavors of the dish.  The first time I'd tried Aburi maki in Akira, I was in love.  This is better than regular maki's I've tried.  Oh my gosh, I'm salivating now just remembering how satisfying this experience was.  Each serving comes with 6 pcs and this includes scallops, salmon, cucumber, uni aioli, shiso leaves, togarashi (Japanese for genus Capsicum, or specifically the species Capsicum annuum, and commonly translated as chili pepper. When the term is used in English, it refers to any number of chili peppers or chili pepper-related products from Japan) and house tare.  First try of this dish the flavors just bursted out in my mouth and they had a party.  It's very fresh, and full of it's savory goodness. I can't say anything bad about it, it's heaven.  It's a big 5/5.  


 We had to try some more and the last one we tried was the Unagi Maki (consists of Broiled Eel, cream cheese, fried shallots, toasted rice) and this cost 299 php. It's like the typical maki but just with toasted rice and if you know me I love eel with teriyaki sauce.  While it's good, I feel that it's just like basic maki as I enjoyed the aburi version more. I give this a good 4/5.



Think we're done, nah that's just starters.  Here comes our main dish.  We ordered 3 cups of chahan (Japanese fried rice) that claims to be good for sharing at 99 pesos, it's a good thing we asked (like hungry eaters we are) and the waitress showed the good for one cup but segway and said this place offers complimentary plain rice in case we want extra rice.  
I'm not too fond of this but it tastes good.  I just fins the one's I've tried at other places better.  Love though the rice consistency on this.  I'd give it 3/5.

 Last we tried was the Hanger Steak (php 495) and this is basically Sous-vide hanging beef tenderloin usually a lesser known type of beef coming from the diaphragm of a beef or cow, from what I've read this is also considerably same as flank steak.  As a meat eater, I love how great this dish was served.  The steak was perfectly cooked, tender and flavorful.  This is served on top of a sweet potato mash cooked in white truffle oil, ponzu butter, shitake mushrooms with crispy baby potatoes and green onions.  

Anything truffle related I always try for it's flavor.  I am a sucker for rich tasting food and this is a good thing to seal my tummy and say good night, lol.



 Overall, I'm satisfied with my experience and I'm definitely coming back for more.  I'm also curious about the Unagi Don and the other aburi maki's and the desserts.  We went here so late so we had to rush but it's still a very successful experience.  Thanks Anj and Erik for recommending this place to me.








 I had a very nice time and I hope you guys like what I've shared today.  Do comment and tell me your thoughts if you have dined here and you recommendations as well of what I or me and my friends should try next.  Don't forget to share and stay awesome people.

Oh before I forget, this is located in 3F of SM Megamall's Fashion Hall in Mandaluyong City.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Ooma-824041817678130/timeline/

xoxo,

Julienne/Jelly




No comments:

Post a Comment