Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Food Review: Kettle Restaurant


Hello guys, so I'm back with another food review. This time, we're cruising to the East Wing of Shangri-La Mall in Mandaluyong. 

The restaurant I'm talking about is at the 5th level of the mall. It's a new addition to Shangri-La's growing restaurant circle.  Ever since the new wing opened, I've been to like 3-4 places already, but today we are going to talk about the place called Kettle.

So, I was like the owner must have loved his "takure"  the tagalog word for a kettle. A little bit skeptic to try it out as I felt like its just a typical American restaurant that if I was given a chance to choose I'd prefer a different cuisine (most likely, Japanese).  

I'm lucky enough that I have a grandmother who can guide my taste buds along the way and of course, this is her recommendation. By the way, its me and my brother King's first time.

Epic pose there ate!


The restaurant looks like a typical American inspired dining place.  A nice relaxing and cozy feel. It also feels like a modern chill place.






Last Sunday, I wasn't able to eat lunch so I'm really looking forward to a big meal. First appetizer, we saw this literally in a nearby table and we were like, yess!!!!

This is the Pork and Potato strips. It's that thin sliced shoestring looking fries cooked perfectly with fried pork belly bits (chunks) and fried herbs. Definitely not greasy and matched with a red bell pepper aioli - truffle oil. Price for this is php 330, not bad as it has a big serving. What else could I say with this yummy goodness!!! This alone is enough and that sauce was just heaven garlicky mayonnaise and truffle loving goodness!


Rueben is next in our list, this is a sandwich on a honey cat bread and house made corned beef, braised cabbage with havarti and fontina cheese. This costs php 489 plus you have the option to upgrade your regular fries to sweet potato fries.

What's my take on this sandwich, I give it a thumbs up.  My grandma is a big fan of this sandwich and when I hear its name its always a blah to me as it defines sauerkraut and beef.  But this sandwich changed my thinking about Reuben.  This is just a good balance of good meat (corned beef, not the one's in the can okay?!



My turn to pick out the next sandwich, Shrimp Po' Boy.  Some may ask what's po' boy, now what I have learned in watching all of those cooking shows that po' boy is a short term used for Poor Boy's sandwich. Surely, here in the Philippines it's not a poor boy's sandwichas it costs php 419 per order.  


Taste wise, I like the freshness and crunchiness of the shrimps (breaded Cajun shrimps). You'd know that they are all our with ingredients and I like that.  You don't hide it under the breadcrumbs lol. I love the cheese shavings and the bread is fresh (Ciabatta Roll).  I'm kind of so so on the Remoulade sauce as I'm not really a fan of mustard and dill pickles to which it was explained to me compliments the sandwich.

Another look at my Po' Boy Shrimp Sandwich

Last dish, Angus Roast Beef for my brother dear. It's an open faced sandwich with caramelized onions; havarti and cheddar cheese, sweet banana peppers and gravy. The meat is good the mixture of the cheese and the sauce indicates good eats to me.

By the way, the food was served on top of a chopping board like plate with parchment or wax paper and served with potato fries in a bowl (again, that can be upgraded to sweet potato). I liked their lemon iced tea too. Overall, if you are looking for a meal that is heavy but will not make you feel overly full, its a good place to go to.  The serving is big so a not so big eater can order a sandwich, fries and maybe soup and then share.

My grandmother, brother and me shared the 3 sandwiches we ordered and I didn't even finish mine. I had to take it out.  The service is quite slow though, I'm not so sure if it's just for that day or what.

Mama and the manager also shared that the chicken meal is a best seller even Jessica Soho featured it in her show (a local news celebrity). Definitely, my first time in this place is a good one. I'd give a recommendation for this place and its good to enjoy with family or friends too.

Just a side note, probably on my next visit i'll order that Truffle Gorgonzola pasta.  

I hope this review is a helpful and informative.  Let me know what other things you'd like me to try and any suggestions for my blog.

Follow Kettle in their social media accounts at:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/kettleph
Instagram: instagram.com/kettlerestaurant 



xoxo
Julienne


















No comments:

Post a Comment